Monday, January 5, 2015

3 Steps to Making Your New Year's Resolutions Come True

Some say they are a waste of time.  'If you want to change you can determine to change any day of the year.'  Some say they are often unrealistic and consequently set you up for failure.  Some even say we should retire the word "resolution" and instead call them goals or plans to lessen the pressure of succeeding.  No matter how you feel about New Year's resolutions, they are here to stay.  Why? Because everyone loves the idea of progress.  We hunger for it and if we can find a good starting point to ensure it, we are sold.  So why the bad rap?  New Year's resolutions are frowned upon because many of us fail to implement a plan for success.  We write our resolutions down and after about 5 months we are no closer to completion than when the year started.   

My previous blog lists my New Year's resolutions (click here), but listing is not enough.  Now I will share 3 steps to ensure I reach my goals.  Yes, failure is still a possibility, but if I fail it will not be because I failed to plan, rather a learning experience that informs my future. 

1. Develop Habits that Align with Each Resolution
Sometimes resolutions can be very lofty and immeasurable.  This makes the resolution hard to manage.  For instance, (5) Hope Higher (from my blog post 7 Resolutions for the Year).  How can I measure my success?  My dad always says 'if you can't measure it, you can't manage it.'  And management is the basis of success.  The key is to establish at least one measurable habit that is associated with hope.  In this case my habit will be to create a vision board with all my greatest hopes and pray once a week simply thanking God for what's to come.  This can be measured.  Did I or did I not create the vision board of hope?  Did I or did I not pray weekly in gratitude?  If I did, then I have been successful.  If I did not then I have not been successful.  Other resolutions, like (1) Persistently Pray and (4) Live long (and Strong), are a little easier to create habits around.  Praying each morning for at least half an hour or going to the gym 3 times a weeks are examples, respectively. 

2. Set Benchmarks to Measure Success
One of my worst nightmares is to get to December 2015, find an old notebook with my New Year's resolutions listed, and realize I haven't even come close to reaching my goals.  One way around that disappointment is to set benchmarks to measure how far I've come.  So I've decided to schedule 4 alarms in my phone.  One in March (representing the 1st quarter of the year), one in June (representing the 2nd quarter of the year), one in September (representing the 3rd quarter of the year) and one in December (representing the 4th quarter of the year and the year at large).  Once the alarm sounds, I will take note of my successes and failures.  The results from first quarter will be the benchmark for the rest of the year.  So take (2) Manage Each Moment, let's say in March I notice that my predetermined Sabbath days (where I do absolutely nothing) were only honored half the time, my goal will then be to honor more than half next quarter.  Or take (3) Minimalistic Mindset, let's say in March I notice my Savings goal was not reached by a deficit of $250 dollars, I will then pursue coming within $250 of my goal by June.

3. Get a Buddy 
"Integrity is who you are when no one is watching.''  That quote always humbles me, because I know when someone is watching me I am much more intentional about doing the right thing.  I believe this is why God wants us to live in community.  We are not designed to live this life alone.  Of course if this is your fate, He still empowers you to live right; so there's no excuse.  Having a partner, however, who is on the same page, always helps.  When you're tired they encourage you to keep moving and you do the same for them.  That is why it is imperative to find someone you trust to hold you accountable for reaching your goals.  Thankfully I have my husband.  Whoo! Whoo! Who constantly, sometimes to my annoyance, reminds me of goals I've set.  When I start to do something that contradicts what I've said, he's there to encourage me to stay the course.  So for (6) Build my Back, I will give him permission to remind me that nothing worth having comes easy.  With that reminder my complaints should decrease over time.  Or for (7) Consistently Connect, I plan to schedule time with each of my friends, so that we will intentionally maintain our friendship.  The time will be mutually agreed upon and we will each commit to talk or meet up as a way to stay connected.

I hope you are as pumped about the new year as I am.  If not, remember that God has great plans for you (Jeremiah 29:11).  His thoughts about you out number the grains of sand (Psalm 139:17-18).  Now that's breathtaking!  He's done His part, in that He has placed in you a measure of faith which consists of gifts, passion, and desire (Romans 12:3).  You now have to do your part and chase after Him (James 2:17).  In Him you will experience hardship but also successes and victories all for His glory.  Never give Up!

-walkthetalk
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Your Thoughts Below!