Monday, December 8, 2014

My “Very Christian” Response to the Mike Brown Case (and every other social injustice that preceded or followed it)

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" -MLK
I’ve been taught to turn the other cheek (Matt. 5:39).  I’ve learned that vengeance is the Lord’s (Romans 12:19).  But there’s something inside of me that says I have to do something!  When the world yells “No justice, No peace” but the bible says "Follow peace with all men" (Hebrews 12:14)  how do I, as a part of the body of Christ, embark upon change for an underprivileged exploited people, who so happen to be my own people?  

 "Die-in" Protest in Chicago
As a follower of Christ there is probably nothing I’d rather do than to study the life of Jesus.  He, in my small mind, is the answer to every ill and calamity.  His presence alone shocked people.  His words offended those who thought they had all the answers.  His philosophies were often deemed blasphemous, but never once contradicted or negated what was established before His appearing on earth.  And so as remedial as it may sound I am compelled to ask myself  “What would Jesus do?”

Jesus was (and still is) a world changer.  Entering the scene where, much like today, there were groups of people who were discriminated against.  There were those who were outcasts and even shunned, including, but not limited to, Samaritans, lepers, tax collectors and prostitutes.  But from the start of His ministry, Jesus stood in solidarity with those who were looked down upon and discriminated against.  His mission was to save the lost and open the eyes of the blind (both naturally and spiritually) as opposed to establishing a kingdom on earth and furthering the agenda of the oppressing self-righteous.  He demonstrated very early that His role on earth was to dwell among those who recognized their need for a Savior and who submitted their lives to His Lordship.  He proved that He was the long awaited Messiah by not simply being served but by serving.  He debunked the theory that defined greatness as the accumulation of riches and the abuse of authority, rather one that possessed the humility of a servant-leader and stood in the face of adversity.

Me and Alex protesting in Chicago
So in response to the Mike Brown case, Eric Garner and all African American men in the U.S today who have been profiled, mistreated and abused by our system of “justice,” I stand with you.  I follow the lead of Christ and “turn the other cheek” not by laying low, but by challenging the opposition with all weapons down.  I’ve realized that I cannot practice “turning my cheek” without first being in the presence of my enemy.  I follow the lead of Christ and allow vengeance to be His not by denying the issues, but by confronting the issues; all the while resisting the temptation to get even.  I follow the lead of Christ and embrace humility not by staying neutral but by forming an opinion and doing all I can to support the efforts of justice with or without the spotlight.  I follow the lead of Christ and “follow peace with all men” not by remaining silent, but by speaking up and participating in peaceful tactics that convict the hearts of men. 

Who better than me?  Who better than the church?  Together we can be the hands and feet of Christ and change the world!  It is during times like these that we see the impact of Christianity.  We see our faith at work; no longer hypothetically, but pragmatically.   If we are the salt of the earth we can influence the world in a way that will be second to no other organized effort.  It is time.

#walkthetalk
-sarah




1 comment:

Leave Your Thoughts Below!